Thread: .38 special ctg
View Single Post

Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn mccarver View Post
Just a wild guess, as I do not have enough info, but you might be looking at a pre war M&P model. I doubt it is worth $400, but it depends on all sorts of things, and other info, such as serial number, frame size, barrel length, finish and condition would be helpful.
Hi Shawn,

The serial # E4 54321 that I found (which seems like an odd number) doesn't appear to be legit according to posts above. The frame size I can't be definitive about ("N", etc) because I don't know the S&W nomenclature. All I can say is that it is "mid-sized" as compared to the S&W .44 that was next to it. The barrel length looked to be in the 5" range and it was blued steel. The bluing was in good condition with little to no wear. The cylinder lock-up felt good in all positions. The gun was clean with no noticible fouling (low light though) and the single/double action was smooth. The grip hatchings were still pretty sharp and the wood had no visible cracks or gouges. It really appeared the gun wasn't used that much. But, I am not that familiar with the S&W product and that is why I came here... to see if I could get some background to this gun. It felt really nice in my hand and it's an attractive piece. But, I don't want to buy this for a premium and later find I got a rube.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.