View Single Post

Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 AM

Liked 145 Times in 48 Posts

How to straighten a bent extractor rod

I don't do locktite, neither will the factory on extractor rods.

There are several things to look at to determine what is causing the run out. It might be the rod that has an obvious bend to it. It might be the extractor rod collar that isn't parallel. It might be the thread portion of the extractor rod that is bent.
Once you try and tighten it up, any reason above will cause the whole rod to run out, yet when loose the rod appears fine.

This is how I adjust them. Find a lead/babbit bar. Anything will work as long as you don't flatten the threads or ding up the extractor rod. That is why something softer than the extractor rod will work. Chuck up the rod in a drill press chuck/ lathe chuck. I use an indicator, but a sharp eye will work too. As you roll the extractor rod around, tap the high side down. Get it to run straight. If you have an indicator set it for .001 run out.

To determine if the collar is bad, you need to measure it is several places with a micrometer to see if it is made parallel. .001 out of square will cause the end to be out 1/32" or more at the tip of the extractor rod.

Use a tool like this to tighten it up, not your fingers!

Another way is to use leather straps in a vise to protect the extractor rod, and tighten it that way. Make sure you insert fired cases in the chambers to protect the alignment pins as you tighten it up.

Last edited by 500 Magnum Nut; 09-08-2009 at 08:55 AM.