View Single Post

Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Liked 2,444 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe on the yukon View Post
In my opinion,you're overthinking this.You'll be using small batches of ammo for load development and that will be your main mission the first trip to the range.During the load testing,I'd recommend you sight in for 25 yards.(with the front sight of your preference).With a larger batch of ammo that you've settled on,fine tune the sights to hit where you want at 50 yards or whatever your choice is.Presumably,this will take place on your second trip to the range.
Thanks for the response, canoe. I'm sure that this would be the way to approach things for those who can load and get to the range more often than I can. In my typical circumstances it could by a year or probably more before I can load some more and get this gun back to the range. Probably 90% of my range time is devoted to becoming a more capable defensive shooter, and even that is insufficient defensive practice time. But other responsibilities effectively rule out more shooting.

Consequently I'd like to get this right the first time, if possible. If it doesn't work, I'll go from there.

Also, I actually enjoy thinking through things like this with other folks. Deliberation and forethought are almost a form of entertainment to me -good exercise for the intellect, too(who knows, might be preventive medicine for dementia later on!).

Thanks again for your input.
Andy