View Single Post

Old 09-20-2009, 05:38 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 224 Times in 34 Posts

David is quite correct. S&W manufactured the K-32 for almost 30 years in total - 1936/7-1941 and again 1947-1973. During this time only circa 3,720 were produced (around 90 pre-war and 3,630 post-war).

Please note these estimated production numbers refer to the revolver designated as a "K-32 Masterpiece" and not any other K frame target guns, before we re-open any cans of worms.

I believe it's by far the lowest level of production for any revolver offered on the price list for that length of time. Today they are rare guns but, strangely, are often found in excellent condition. I guess this was because many were purchased by dedicated off-hand target shooters - who look after their pistols - and because the .32 S&W Long cartridge doesn't exactly hammer a revolver to death.

When you ask why they didn't catch on... I understand they were offered to address the target matches then shot at Camp Perry and similar. This is not my area of expertise (and I'm sure someone can correct me) but I think there were 3 matches to be shot. S&W's idea was to offer the K-22, K-32 and K-38 for the 3 matches. The advantage to a target shooter being each of the guns "felt" exacty the same as the others. The problem was that the weight of the early guns was different - a K-22 has less metal removed from cylinder and barrel than a K-38 for example. So, I believe, S&W later countered this problem (circa 1949) by bringing out a wide rib version of the guns. The idea being that the rib size varied and equalized the weights of the 3 guns.

However, the idea of the 3 K frames never quite took off. S&W sold lots of K-22's as great target and plinking guns, cheap to run etc. The K-38 became the defacto centerfire target revolver for most club shooters, the venerable (and excellent) Colt 1911 being the other weapon of choice.

I don't think 32's have been big sellers in the US since the turn of the last centry (1900). They're not as cheap to plink with as a .22, and do not sufficent stopping power for self defense. Me, I like them, in 32 Long, 32 H&R Magnum and in the new 327 Mag. I think they're accurate and fun to shoot. However, I'm a big reloader and .22's and very difficult to reload... :-)

I have always been surprised that S&W marketed the K-32 for as long as they did. Very glad, but surprised. Secretly I've always wondered if they were just using up parts they'd manufactured! Sorry, unfair dig at S&W. :-) I'm not sure if the .327 is going to catch on, I keep hoping for the rumored S&W .327 NightGuard revolver to hit the pricelist, but I haven't seen it yet. Until it does I'll just make do with my reamed out 16-4's.