Thread: Stocks by Hurst
View Single Post

Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Liked 19,942 Times in 8,817 Posts

Not to hijack a thread. But a question for those who have posted here.

This thread reminded me of some grips I picked up about 3 years ago. So I went and found them at the bottom of my box of extra grips. The Back story;

Several years ago a friend was asked to break up an sell a retired US Marshal's "collection" of guns and other stuff. The widow needed to turn things into cash.

I bought a 4" Model 15 for my wife as her range and house gun. My friend knew I liked Spegel boot grips on my K frame Smiths; so when we got together to do the transfer he offered me 2 sets of grips he'd found.

He said, he thought they were Farrants from the 60's, both are for K-frames. One round butt with the extra wood behind the frame at the top. The other was a completely open backstrap for a unmodified K-frame sq. butt. This second pair kind of reminds me of Spegel extended boot grips.

Both are in a almost black wood (ebony?), with finger grooves, palm swell and checkered. Color a lot like the first set in OFI2'2 origional post. Sorry no pictures.

Once I got them onto guns, both my wife and I decided we didn't like them as much as Spegel's. So into the box of grips they went, and have been there for at least 3 years, untill today.

Anyway, to my question, from this thread I get the feeling there are some knowledgeable collectors in the Forum of grips by these makers. If we aren't going to use them; I'm thinking I should make them available to someone who would enjoy them.

But, I have no idea how to value them; cash or maybe in trade for some Spegel grips; to put them in the Classifieds section. I could but don't want to put them on an auction site and let the bidding set the market price; I'd rather see someone here get them. Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Brad