View Single Post

Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM

Liked 9,159 Times in 3,383 Posts

Standard PreWar Commercial. Ser#'s run from ab't 39,000 to 280,000.
That's an approx on the ser# range but fairly close.

It should have the second style safety lever in that it is pushed forward/up to engage it in the 'safe' position w/o retracting the hammer at all.

The safety mechanism was altered shortly after this range to make it necessary for the hammer to be slightly retracted before the safety was pushed into the safe position. That is the 'New Safety' and the rear of the hammer is marked NS for Neue Sicherung. Wartime commercials have that type of safety.

The grips if original have a certain number of lines cut on them and differ from model to model. I don't recall how many this model is supposed to have but if they are numbered I don't doubt they are original from the looks of them. 32 lines sounds familiar....but I really can't say for sure.

A DOM of 1913/14 would seem a fair guess in that the serial number is near the end of the range.

The Standard PreWar Commercial is one of more common C96 variations. But finding any C96 in excellent condition and w/matching numbers outside of an auction of collectors offering is getting to be a rarity. Very nice pistol. Congrats!

The holster looks like a commercially produced item and were offered by retailers back then as an accessory. Some were bought (private purchase)and used by Military and Police as the pistol was sold all over the world including the US and British Empire.