View Single Post

Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye Smith View Post
If it was the lock you wouldn't have been able to shoot it. I bet you had carbon under the extractor or cylinder face. Buy a plug for it and remove the flag and go for it .
Bullseye,
The extractor and cylinder face are virtually carbon free. No residue at all. I dont think that is the issue.

I like the idea and look of the plug and want one for my S&W57 Mountain Gun; however, the 642-2 is a concealed carry weapon and from what Im told, the laws of my state would increase liability if I modify the gun. CCW guns have to be as stock. This is not much of an issue with the S&W57 Mouintain Gun, which is primarily a sporting handgun, very likely to be used on wild hog. A collector I know has offered to sell me a pre-lock 640 +P 38 at a reasonable price and I think that is the best way to address the 642 issue. The 642 will go on consignment after it is repaired. Too bad, because my gun is surprisingly accurate at 25 yards and I really like the gun.

I spoke to S&W this morning. They are going to send me a Fedex shipping label. They told me that the likely cause was a cracked hammer pivot (which makes no sence to me). With any luck, it is part of the frame and will require replacement of the entire frame.

I would like to purchase a plug for my S&W 57 Mountain Gun.