View Single Post

Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dick View Post
RET_NYPD_MOS:

Your timeline is interesting but raises a question.

What I thought was interesting about my NY-1 is that it was shipped from S&W on October 17, 1989. At that point, it sounds like the revolver was no longer authorized for off duty carry. Which begs the question, why would the Equipment Bureau still be getting them in from S&W. Maybe mine got the "regular" hammer from the Firearms Training Unit like you describe in your posting. However, I just wonder if by mid October 1989, they were having the remainder of the order shipped with "regular" hammers.
The equipment section in 1989 started receiving the "Centennial" edition from S&W (internal hammer) - waited for the authorization to start again for the Model 60, and knowing what a scam the contract system is with manuf. and the chiefs at purchasing I held on to little hope. I left the NYPD for a stint in Florida in the first portion of 1990 - at that time the offer was made for us to have spurred hammers put on, or leave the spurless on - but either way - you weren't authorized to carry it. A reimbursement was also offered, and “discount” coupons from S&W were to come along with the reimbursement. The idea was that those who got screwed into this deal would then purchase the Centennial - since I came back in late 1990 the off of reimbursement was off the table to me.
This meant that legally you could carry it, but if you did and got “involved” you were looking at departmental trial room - not a good thing.
I took my chances and carried it when I returned back to the NYPD at the end of 1990 - it worked great on my ankle. I didn't buy another off-duty until 2000 when we were authorized to carry Glock 26 - that's what I got.
It sounds to me that there is a bit of confusion coming from either the NYPD Equipment Section of S&W as it pertains to a shipment in October 1989 for the equipment section resale purposes. These may have either been inadvertently sent, the repaired/inspected weapons being sent back, or replacement for those with defects, and perhaps there were the Centennials being sent.
In Oct 1989 this was the height of the department recall. So is it possible that the bureaucrats in the city were still taking delivery of these weapons, sure - but they weren't being sold to personnel.

Today at a gun show, I showed the Model 60 to an "Expert" - who have me a history about the Model 60 I had - he was wrong about everything. I smiled, took my firearm and walked away.

Last edited by RET_NYPD_MOS; 10-12-2009 at 10:45 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: