View Single Post

Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 PM

Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts

Anybody who is impressed by the 9x23 should stand in awe of the old .38 Special! After all, what is the 9x23 anyway? Is it not just a tapered rimless .38 Super with a thicker web so that the caseheads don't blow out in an autopistol? The thicker web reduces case capacity that much more, and the J Frame with its offset cylinder stop notches does not require thicker brass to stand the higher pressures. So, we have the .38 Special which towers above the 9x23 with far greater case capacity and the ability to handle heavier bullets. Frankly I'm amazed that so many shooters look down on the .38 Special.

And how can anybody think that moonclips are a disadvantage with the 9mm revolver? Obviously I'm a huge fan of the .38 Special cartridge, but out of a J Frame with a 2" barrel I believe the better choice is the 940 precisely because it uses moonclips. The ballistic advantage of the .38 Special is not all that great out of the short barrel but the quickness and certainty of the moonclip loading and extraction of moonclipped 9mm are the deal breaker for me.

I never owned a 547, but I'm willing to bet that any load which ties up my 940 (inferior brass or too much fast powder) will lock up a 547 just the same.

Dave Sinko