View Single Post

Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

Dave,

I think that it is probable that my holster is a Brill. Of course, mine is a different model lacking the loop and lining but having the lacing and the retaining strap. However, under magnification there are significant differences in the basket weave between yours and mine. That might simply be different stamps used for different models or different years of manufacture. Another friend who is a big holster collector here also suggested that mine might be a Brill.

Dan,

If there were any gold highlights on mine they were long gone and replaced with a lifetime of grime. I used a light solution of Windex and a soft cloth to remove the dirt and they have a lovely old opalescent glow now. Even the chip at the top of the left grip came clean so it is much less noticeable now. It is amazing that they have survived 22 years of a hard life with only that small defect and the loss of the ruby eyes. If I still had my dental office and materials I'm pretty sure that I could repair that chip so that it wouldn't be noticeable. I may look for some of the material used for red sight inserts and see how that will look in the eyes.

I seem to remember a previous post where someone here, who's wife was a jeweler, said that she used a light coating of mineral oil on pearl necklaces once a year and recommended that for MOP grips also. Does anyone else recall that?

Bob