View Single Post

Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 AM

Liked 343 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbury View Post
Most if not all Warranty cards are marketing surveys. Most state laws and maybe fed law make returning such cards unnecessary. If you want to register you gun you can do it on the S&W web site and keep your cards clean. The advantage of registration is 1. Your address in known for any recalls and 2. Your are connected in their records with the serial number of that gun.

Some would call #2 a disadvantage.
Agreed, but No. 1 could be important. For example, had you bought a PPK last year or a LH 624 in 1985. I guess it would depend on how 'in touch' with the industry you keep; some people probably wouldn't otherwise hear about recalls. They buy a gun, shoot a box of ammo through it, clean it (hopefully), and put it in their closet. They don't read gun rags or monitor gun forums, etc. My father is an example. He bought a used Ruger Blackhawk .357 in the 90s sometime that turned out to be pre-1973. I mentioned the recall to him this year - he knew nothing about it. Of course since he bought that gun used, he wouldn't have been notified, but the guy he got it from didn't know about it either and is not the type who would've sent in the card.
The Following User Likes This Post: