View Single Post

Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1,331 Times in 325 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc44 View Post
The first target stock was introduced for the K-frame in 1950 and was advertised as a three-piece stock. It looks like a regular target stock from the side, but has a plastic insert that resembles a grip adapter in the front. Why S&W made these is beyond me, and they did not last long. I have only seen a couple of pairs in the last 40 years.

Who the driver(s) was behind the stock design that collectors refer to as coke bottle stocks may be known, but has never been documented in an article as far as I know. I am sure Roper's design had a strong influence as the stocks look similar to what he marketed.

Bill

Hello Bill
Did those first stock's with the Plastic adaptor last two Years or so ? I have read the Target stocks became a catalog item in 1952, so were these Promoted by Flier or Just word of mouth ? I have found very Little out about Albert Gagne other than what I have all ready shared in my Previous responses of this thread. Do you by chance know when he left S&W , and perhap's what he did after that ? The One Photograph I have seen of him standing with others that were on the S&W revolver shooting Team seems to show him in maybe his late 30's to early 40's age wise. I Just wonder how Long he was employeed by S&W or what he Persued afterwards. It makes no sense to me why he did not try to duplicate his Father's Stocks on his own to Market them, as Hot an item as they were. Regards, Hammerdown