View Single Post

Old 10-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default NYPD S/S Ruger Police Service-Six

Sgt127 - In the July 1987 Class (I was in Company 87-73) we chose our service revolver in the following manner. Around August the department set out a table, you picked up one of two weapons as a male, either the Ruger, or the S&W. I chose the Ruger because my hands are very big, and the S&W just didn't sit well.

We were the first for these particular weapons; they were both spurless as you see in this picture. The only change I made was to the grips, again because of the size of my hands. The day that the person you spoke about meant, was "Gun and Shield Day" - that’s the day we receive our shields, and the guns we had already owned, and used at the range. The department held them until this particular day - so these were chosen by us five-months prior.

We NEVER had a spurred-hammer on this particular S/S model, nor did any service revolvers, or semi's have spurs after the October 1987 graduating class - we graduated in January 1988 - and when we headed to field training, NSU, all the precinct cops had to see these weapons - since we were the first. While you had these firearms, once a veteran saw you with it he knew you didn't come on before July 1987 - unless of course you for some insane reason opted to use this opposed to a blued .38 that you may have had before July 1987.

I had an 892 tax number, those in here who know about the NYPD know what that means - it depicts the time I came on.

But the picture you show is identical as mine, however no spurs were on the hammers - we were not qualified, or allowed to have them on starting in my class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1314.jpg (64.7 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1312.jpg (68.0 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1311.jpg (52.8 KB, 386 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: