SWCA Member

Liked 7,703 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepriwer View Post
David

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of the original hammer, in
the lockwork ? I'd like to compare it to the one posted above, of the
HB hammer in the lockwork.

Something looks way out of position for the sear on the HB hammer.
I almost looks as though that sear is for a different-design trigger.

Later, Mike Priwer
Glad to oblige. Apologies for not maintaining exact size parity and the same angle of view.

First, the original photo of the HB hammer:

The original hammer installed, with the original sear still attached:

The two hammers side by side:

When the HB hammer and its sear were in position but not under mainspring tension, pulling the trigger would both rotate the cylinder and push the hammer back in the regular double-action movement. With the mainspring in place and tightened, the trigger would contact the sear and simply push it out of the way as the trigger arm continued its upward travel.

As an experiment, I swapped sears. The sear from the original hammer functioned perfectly on the HB hammer, so I just left it in the gun.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the bad sear. It seems to be dimensioned exactly the same as the functioning sear, but there are some working marks at the tip that make me think that in its history someone adjusted it in a way that makes it inappropriate for the gun I was trying to fit it to now. To my untrained eye, it would appear that the sear could be rendered usable by removing a little steel from the back of the sear above the pivot point; that would let the toe of the sear move forward another .01-.02" under the sear spring pressure, which I think is all that is needed to let the trigger arm engage it properly.