View Single Post

Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

Waldo,

I've never desired to use reduced loads in the 460 Weatherby.There are lesser rifles for that.The 460 weatherby is (even though it's only a 458 bullet)in the category of heavies.I would actually much rather use a larger bore for that power level but it's velocity nonetheless puts it in that class.

As I'm sure you know,it's essentially a belted and necked up 416 Rigby case.There are numerous wildcats that have been assembled with that platform but the WBY has the distinction of being loaded to a higher pressure.(even from factory loads).Anyone can push the envelope with any version "to a point".

The 460 Wby (with full power) is definately not a cast bullet rifle.There are a great many good 458 bullets which are suitable but one should be careful that it's well constructed.Do not use bullets which were constructed for 45/70(etc) in mind.

Premium bullets from custom and semi custom bullet makers are excellent but for practice,etc,their expense is unecessary.As far as standard factory bullets are concerned,the Hornady's are excellent.The solids are very good but unecessary for anything this side of the big ones of Africa.In my opinion the Hornady 500 gr interlock soft point is excellent for" most"heavy rifle use.

These (500 gr)can be driven to very nearly 2700 fps from the 460 WBY but are considered to be somewhat excessive.I prefer to keep it around 2400-2500 fps.The load I will give below chrono's very slightly below 2500fps from my rifle.

The powders which have given me the best overall results are 4350 and IMR-4831(not H-4831-it's a bit too slow.)

I like the following.....

460 WBY brass (norma made)

500 gr Hornady interlock soft point

112.0 gr of H-4350.......this is not max.

Federal 215M

For special use,a premium bullet is highly recommended.