View Single Post

Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
Little bit of trivia here: Merwin & Hulbert never made any guns, they were mostly all made by Hopkins & Allen and were so well made to very close tolerances than when you opened the action to extract shells, the gun would close by itself due to the vacuum created by the close tolerances! Also, I've found that many ammo. boxes posted on ebay (eBay rulues will not allow seller to sell ammo.) by sellers, are boxes with ammo that has been removed, but the seller has the ammo. and inquires to the seller can result in the ammo. arriving at your door step with the box for a negotiable price. Ed.
Greetings!! If I may offer a correction here...This bit of information about Merwin and Hulbert being owned by Hopkins and Allen seems to have originated with Flayderman, (who has forgotten more than I will ever learn about firearms). However, in this case it isn't true. Rather, because of (1) H&A's proprietary and highly superior method of applying nickel to guns, (2) their having a known name and (3) an operating factory, Merwin and Hulbert bought 50% interest in H&A. Shortly thereafter, one of the H&A partners made a side deal acquiring the truly questionable Bacon arms without consulting Messrs. Merwin and Hulbert(s) . This prompted them to buy the partner out and thenceforth had complete control of H&A and their own product line as well. M&H definitely acquired the patents, made their own guns, and were in charge of every effort to make a superior product.

Last edited by jaegerhhh; 11-10-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: punctuation