View Single Post

Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

Some seem to be somewhat disgruntled that a cartridge or load that they like is not considered a heavy rifle.The term "heavy" may seem a little hazy to some so I'd like to give some clarity.

In very general terms (and some loads seem to be in somewhat of a grey area),heavies might be described this way.(it matters not what has killed things).......

A 400 grain bullet that has a sectional density of 300 or more that is moving at least 2400 FPS can be described as a Light Heavy.After that,it becomes a matter of degrees with a judgement call but as a very general description,heavies don't really begin until a 500 grain bullet of a sectional density of 300 or more is moving at approximately 2100 fps which can be described as a medium heavy.

After that,it becomes a matter of degrees.I personally don't think of a rifle as a true heavy until the same 500 grain bullet of a sectional density of 300 or more is moving about 2400fps.There are,of course,those which go much farthur.

There are those who would say that heavies don't begin until approximatley 500 Jeffery level is attained.I would prefer not to nitpick about exactly where the line is drawn.