View Single Post

Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post
I obtained an M41 from a fellow forum member this week and had a chance to take it to the range today. I 'borrowed' the ultra dot 30mm 4-dot red dot off my son’s ruger 22/45.

The long and short of it is the red-dot coupled with the M41 makes bullseye type shooting enjoyable for me again. For too long I've fought age related declining eyesight while stubbornly trying to continue the use of iron sights.

In addition, for the last year I've been trying to get my old ruger MKII to run consistently on SV ammo with much frustration experienced in the process. I really like this MKII as it is quite accurate and runs like a top with just about every type of ammo except SV, including the Federal bulk which also runs in my other .22 rifles/pistols. I have tried a number of the 'fixes' to get this gun running on SV and it improved the situation some but never really fixed the issue completely.

My gun club requires the use of SV ammo to shoot in the bullseye competitions and clinics, and I have about 2K of SV on hand, but until this week had no pistol that would reliably shoot the ammo.

The 41 went through 170 rounds of SV without a hitch and 80 rounds of walmart fed bulk without any problems or failures.

I have two types of CCI SV and I don't know if they are really different or if it was just a change in packaging? These are the usual plastic 100 round boxes. One is a yellow box with blue label that simply says "Standard Velocity". I can find no other info on the label.

The second is a clear box with blue label that says, "Standard Velocity, Lead round nose, 40 grain, 1070fps, Target". Are these the same thing just different packaging?

The M41 is amazingly accurate, and the red dot allows me to see the bullseye, see the dot, and place the dot on the bullseye with great clarity.

The only thing that worries me is when the sun is low in the sky and directly on the target the dot gets washed out. This is an outdoor range (25 & 50 yards) with covered firing line and covered target stands, but round-about 12pm-1pm the sun will hit the targets full-on for about an hour a half. I don’t know what time of day the bullseye matches are so I don’t know if this will be a problem. I do know the club has ‘free pistol’ on Monday nights and the targets are lighted so I assume the dot would also wash out under those conditions as well?

Anyway, it is a relief to have a pistol that runs SV ammo and is also very accurate, as well as having a sight system that works well.
I think the new sights come with a Polarizer slip on lens cover just for that very need, and, they are available as a separate item you can buy inexpensively from them.