View Single Post

Old 11-01-2009, 02:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 381 Times in 99 Posts

There is a Mohawk at the Army Aviation Museum at Ft Rucker in AL, as well as a lot of other Army AC. I have gone there a couple of times. As I get older, I think of the guys who did not get the chance to do so. I help out at the local VA hospital whenever I can, but it is depressing(not nearly as much for me as for the poor guys who are living there, strike that, existing there).
I am taking a sabbatical from there for a while as there is one guy who keeps asking me to assist him in killing himself. He is a quad amputee, with not much face left, I am afraid I just might. There but for the grace of God..............
I would certainly rather have been killed than exist like some of those poor guys. Sorry if I am bumming some of you out, but I think we need to remind ourselves about those who not only gave all, but who are still doing it, decades later.
Whenever someone thanks me for my service, I thank them for allowing me to do so, and survive with only a few sctatches, and live to have another career and a half. The only thing I would change is to have had fewer WIA, of course that is beyond my pay grade.
If you would, remember those who came back, and are still suffering. Not that I would have anyone forget the KIAs or MIAs, but the suffering of the permanently disabled has to be witnessed to be believed.
Gunfighter five, out.
The Following 31 Users Like Post: