View Single Post

Old 11-01-2009, 11:48 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

Gun4Fun,

The 458 Win did not turn out to be what the designers had in mind as to the factory loads available for several years.Many did not even reach 2000fps from the muzzle.Properly loaded,it does very well but that is all very subjective.Isn't it?

Perhaps Jack Lott did load the round up to it's true potential at some point.From various sources,I was under the impression that the pressure,powder compaction issues were his main concern.Being an experimenter,I have no doubts that he expanded.Perhaps velocity was also an issue.I see no reason to argue the point.

When one reads his accounts of the buffalo/458 Win incident,a rather curious thing is noted.First of all,his shot placement was poor (by his own admission) and secondly,the bullet was poorly constructed and did not perform as intended.Neither of these have anything to do with the cartridge.

Debating about 2100 fps vs 2400 fps could go on and on.It goes without saying that one is more than the other.I quite agree that 2400 is better.It's all a matter of opinion but personally I'd rather have a larger caliber when a heavy is to be used.To each,his own.

Last edited by canoe on the yukon; 11-01-2009 at 11:52 PM.