View Single Post

Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default NYPD memories

Joined in 1984 and my memory is slightly different, and very little of it left. Anyway, we were issued Blue Model 10's, heavy barrel only, and the only option I remember was a Ruger. For off duty we could carry the Colt, Smith or service Ruger. I carried my model 10 in a swivel holster til retirement in 2004. My wife joined the dept in 88 and carried a stainless model 64. Off duty were the chiefs purchased from the equiptment section. I purchsed quite a few, don't know where they went. I recently found a receipt for one I purchased in 1996 for $336. Anyway we are both cops here in Florida and carry Glocks, but still have a fondness for Wheel guns, ( me not her). One thing I do remember as a PCT Sgt (32 pct) was the transition to 9mm. The cops were allowed to either choose a Glock or Smith semi, but at the initial change over Sig Sauer also were tried. The initial batched had issues with rusting so they were never approved and all returned to Sig. Funny thing it was almost a badge of honor to allow your service weapon to get so rusted/dirty/ corroded that the range Officers could'nt open them. Always a big joke back at the PD. Also when I retired in 04 I took my model 10 to a shop for trade-in, I believe it was Jovinos, or the one near old Police Plaza. Anyway, they offered me twenty five dollars. So disgusted, I left it in my locker when I retired and never went back for it. Wish I did, but, at least we have wifes model 64 and brother-in-law"s Ruger, Police six (also retired). When I came down to Florida had a garage sale and sold or gave away every NYPD item i still had, wanted it to be a memory and nothing else. Did'nt know I'd be a cop here again, or wife either. The kids on the block were all dressed in NYPD stuff and had a ball playing cops and robbers. Still after 9/11 I wish I kept the uniform I wore that day, dusty dirty and all. It's somewhere here though in Florida, probably in a kids storage/play box. Sorry for the rant, just alot of memories. Never thought i'd miss the NYPD, but really they were the most professional Cops I ever met. Been doing it now here in Florida almost 5 years, hate every second of it but pays for the toys like my new 13-3 3 inch.

Last edited by florida1098; 11-02-2009 at 04:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: