View Single Post

Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Liked 896 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
The 458 Winchester has a poor reputation for penetration in Africa amongst most pro hunters. While it will easily go threw a buffalo side to side it lacks penetration on raking shots. Len
While I have no personal experience, everything I've read is that the stories of poor penetration with the .458 Win are old news. New stuff works just fine and the Win. Mag is the most commonly seen PH gun.

I doubt that stuff like Hornady's very tough jacketed solid ammo (which runs 2175 fps out of my Ruger No. 1) would be lacking in penetration. Adding to that Dick Metcalf of Shooting Times recently shot a buffalo in the shoulder with a .500 S&W Mag, destroying the shoulder and nearly exiting the animal in the haunch. Adequate penetration by any standard and I would think that the .458 could do as well with double the energy and less frontal area.

Personally, if someone were to give me a choice of any gun as a gift (within reason), I'd take a Searcy in .577 NE. I think a well built British style double is the most elegant gun ever made. Don

Last edited by DonD; 11-02-2009 at 01:20 PM.