View Single Post

Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Liked 49 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
Nice job. You're obviously a machinist. I'm not and wouldn't have thought to attempt that job.
Thanks Fastbolt! I'm a hobbiest machinist at best. Not my trade by any means but I go slow and make conservative changes. I'm not so sure the 0.145" on center was the best of choices as the detent can be pushed out of it's bore towards the center of the mag catch but the action on the button is forcing it away from center line so I don't think there will be a penalty. I just didn't like the very tangential interference the 0.160" would give considering how wide the underside notch on the button has been cut by S&W.

Quote:
FWIW, when adjusting the nut/mag catch button in guns which come from the factory with metal mag catches and which use the plunger, the height of the plunger should be such that the top of the plunger is either flush with the frame, or just slightly below the frame. That's so the mag catch has the proper movement to both secure and then release the mag with the intended range of movement of the mag catch nut in the appropriate position.
I'd say I've probably got more pre-load than S&W does then. I'm happy with the feel and the tension though, and the catch moves out of the way and into engagement without issue. I haven't tried it with a loaded mag shoved into the bottom of a slide just yet, I may end up with too much pre-load and have to drill a little deeper.

Quote:
Did you call S&W and ask for the spec before you drilled? The folks in either production or the repair center would probably have the specs available.
Didn't even think to call and ask, I couldn't imagine getting something like that out of them as just asking betrays what I am up to, drilling into their frame!
The Following User Likes This Post: