Thread: Woods gun
View Single Post

Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
US Veteran

Liked 138 Times in 73 Posts

At the risk of being the heretic in the bunch...Glock 29. If you are going through the effort to carry a "Woods Gun" why not cover ALL the bases, especially when there is no real practical size/weight penalty. With the apparent increase in black bear/human contact lately (even in the PRNJ no less) and the heavier clothing this time of year encasing the much more likely human threats, the 10mm deserves serious consideration. 10mm comes in wildly different flavors too, from relatively mild .40S&W equivalent loads to full power thumper loads...and everything in between. The 175 Silvertip might be a good general purpose + load for the situation you describe.

The G29 is my travel gun during annual vacations in the Rockies, and has been for 10 years. During day hikes in "the woods" it is loaded with the most capable "large quadruped load" (if there is such a thing for a relatively small/light handgun ) I could find, the Double Tap 200WFNGC which runs 1255 out of my G29 through my Oehler...at least here in FL. They do a 230WFNGC too now BTW. Until this year the G29 was loaded with Buffalo Bore 200FMJFN which ran about 1150 a few years ago. When not hiking, the G29 is loaded with a full power JHP. I've used BB 180GDHP which runs just under 1300 from the G29 and the 175 Silvertips mentioned above. In the summertime I've even used CorBon 135JHP which runs 1365 and is a bid quicker shot to shot.

Obviously, all the above is predicated on the ability to shoot at a skill level one is comfortable with. The heavier loads do bark and push back a bit, but not remotely like the .41 Magnum some folks compare it to. With the 175 Silvertip and especially the CB 135, the G29 shoots softer than any of my short K .357s. My G29 is a '97 so, like all my large Glocks, has the full size frame. I'm sure the thinner frame G29SF you mentioned would be easier to control for most hands.

BTW, I should also point out that the other reasons the G29 vacations with me probably don't matter for your situation. Travelling by air and living in rental cabins and hotel rooms it is easier to bring one pistol that can be made to serve multiple purposes simply by changing magazines. Daily concealed carry in and about town to day hikes in the mountains and back country. Dumping the magazine and disassembling the slide from the frame gets me through national parks...and it only takes a second to get hot again.

Just another look at it , YMMV ...
The Following User Likes This Post: