View Single Post

Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalooie View Post
I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that most of the Walthers made after WW2 were made in France and assembles in Germany. I don't know when production resumed in Germany. At some point, Manurhin either got permission or just decided to make them with their name on them.
After the war under the terms of surrender Walther were not allowed to manufacture arms, so they licenced production to Munurhin. When Walther were allowed by the Allies to recommence production, the licence was terminated but Manurhin continued to make guns under contract to Walther until the mid 60s. I have even read that all post war PPKs were made in France up to 1986. The guns made under contract were, I believe, marked as being made in Germany by Walther. I read that the slides were made in France and sent to Germany unhardened. Walther then added the markings and hardened them. Some were imported into the USA by Interarms without the Manurhin name but marked "Made in France". As to why some had the St Etienne mark and others didn't I don't know. St Etienne is the traditional home of gunmaking in France, and I believe all proofing and testing is carried out there. It may simply be that they were proofed in France before being exported. Incidentally, I have proofing certificates for a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag and a Winchester 94 .444 Marlin which I bought new in France, both bearing the stamp of the Official Proof House (Banc Official D'Epreuve des Armes a Feu et des Munitions) in St Etienne. Although I had never looked before I now see that both of these guns have the St Etienne proof mark (what appears to be a crown over the letters AR). Inspection of my other 3 Winchesters, for which I do not have proof certificates, all have similar proof marks. In the case of my 94-22 it also says "St Etienne" next to the proof mark. So there you have it. Some say it and some don't.