View Single Post

Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 PM

Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts

[QUOTE=alde;1172633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1gunner View Post
At least they were real cops. Too many "secure locations" in this country only have rent-a guards (like Wackenhut, etc.) providing security.QUOTE]

They were rent-a-cops at Ft. Hood. On the base that I work as a civilian we also have rent-a-cops for general security. All in all they are good people who do a good job.
I find myself wanting to defend (some) security guards. While there certianly are some pitiful firms and sorry guards, there are many who are highly trained and very dedicated. Many are former military or LEO's. Those that carry firearms typically have to meet the same firearms proficiency qualifications as LEO. Depending upon state/jursdiction, they may have arrest powers or are considered SPO's (Special Police Officers). Often small town/county LEO's will transition laterally into armed security services protecting gov't facilities or the sesitive facilities of gov't contractors as the pay is better than a small-town PD can muster.

There is a HUGE difference between your shopping mall rent-a-guard and the highly trained and dedicated armed security officer protecting many of our nation's most sensitive installations and facilities.
The Following User Likes This Post: