View Single Post

Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 1,383 Times in 254 Posts
Default Wolf & Klar Engraving and Grips

Ok everyone jump in with your experience because everything I say here is my own conclusion based on the experience I have gained over the past few years.

1st I will post a page from Wolf & Klar catalog # 16 showing what they charged for an Engraved 38 M&P and then what the costs of engraving were along with Carved Pearl Grips.

Notice they do not offer Ivory? HMMMM makes you wonder doesnt it. Personally I have never seen a set of Ivory grips that are in the same style of carving as the pearl grips that I conclude are W&K.

I will start with my Mother of all BBQ's grips they are by far the most ornate of any I have ever seen. I know the exact history of the gun they came on as I bought it from the Grandson of Sheriff Owen C. "Slim" Mathews of Grant County Sheriffs Deartment New Mexico. The gun letters to W&K and was bought by a Texas Oilman named Burton Prince and given to Sheriff Mathews.
Almost every pair I have seen has a Roman Numeral ground into the backside of the grips. This set has the Number II on one panel but nothing on the other.

All the carved steerheads I have seen with the Roman Numerals have the same steerhead design. Here are a few more sets for your viewing.

Here are a couple sets of steerheads that do not have Roman Numerals and I dont believe they are Wolf and Klar, one is Ivory I bought from Steve H in Tulsa. The pearls came on my 38 M&P.

while in Tulsa this past weekend I found this set of Eagle carved Pearls on a small table full of stuff. They have the Roman Numeral V cut into the backside. I was excited to buy them.

So show me what yours look like!!!! Do they have the Roman Numeral? are they of the same carving design?

Whats your opinion?
The Following 9 Users Like Post: