View Single Post

Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
I currently have a couple cans of Trail Boss, but I'm thinking of also getting a can of Unique as the powder for loading these bullets.

I do not have a chronograph, so I have to depend on high pressure signs like too tight cases in the cylinder, flattening primers, etc.

If anyone can offer some powder advise for this 150 grain bullet, I would appreciate it.
Couple of things from your post. May I suggest a couple of things? First and foremost, if you are going to reload and "experiment" get a chronograph. It/they are only about $100 and invaluable in load development.

Trail Boss is not going to get you into the +P range on any cartridge. It wasn't designed for that. Case fill, that is what it was designed for!

Unique will get you into the +P realm BUT depending on your loading apparatus, it may cause some problems. It doesn't meter the best from most equipment. That can be overcome but it does take some work.

If it was me loading for this bullet, I would use the unsung hero SR4756. It is designed for cast bullets and the pressures it generates are good at the top end of the desired velocity.

Find an older Lyman manual, say the 47th edition or so and see what it has to say. The 48th edition doesn't have a +P loading for this powder BUT I do know that their standard data for the 158gr is consistent with what I have gotten in real life. If it was me, I would use that data for the bullet you have. Those 8gr is not going to make a ton of difference, but that is just me. In fact, I would work up just a tad from there once I checked the velocity. You do as you see fit. The responsibility lays completely on your shoulders, not ours!