View Single Post

Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Tell; I think that one good thought to always keep in mind, is that we all speak from our own sphere of experience. For almost 50 years I have been involved in competitive shooting, custom and competition firearms modifications and development, including the fabrication of firearms actions and trigger assemblies, have developed an entire line of wildcat cartridges, and have never bought a box of storebought ammunition (only shotshells and 22 lr's). I have not only made my own cast bullets, but have made jacketed bullets as well, and have made from scratch cartridge cases for developmental purposes. I have pursued the unknown, and sometimes have won...and sometimes have lost! When I bring up an "opinion" it is based on all the experience I have had, and the results of that experience, and I am sure that there are some here who have no clue as to what I am talking about, or may dismiss what I am saying as falacy...but, "I" know what has transpired within the sphere of "my" experience. I do not offer up my opinion for ridicule or debate (which of course you have not done to me), but just to allow others an insight as to what "I" have done, and what "they" may possibly consider. Each "poster" on this forum is doing just about the same thing, and they do not deserve to be demeaned in any way, but, as I said before, we need to leave the final decision up to the reader as to whether what has been suggested is correct for his application. Also, anyone getting in to reloading really needs to start at the bottom (I did as well), follow the guidance of thier reloading manuals (I still have my original Lyman and Ackley manuals, and some newer versions), and maintain an understanding that by not doing so at that level of experience, could lead to a damaged gun or worse. I have seen many blow ups in my day, and most resulted in physical harm to the shooter and bystanders, and in a few cases death! We surely dont want anything to happen to anybody, but, we cannot control what everybody does all the time! So, the new reloader needs to take responsibility for "his own actions" and pursue this hobby in a safe and sensible manner. Any person that is new to reloading that jumps into high pressure top end loads, or non-standard modifications to loading data guidlines is a problem waiting to happen, and is a lost cause to begin with....some folks "just dont get it" and the only way they will understand is to suffer the consequences of their actions. Unfortunately, that is just human nature in some cases!!! In closing, "opinion" should flow freely on any forum.... and, "let the reader beware" should be the rule of the day!....By the way, as fortunate as I have been to pursue this sport/hobby in my lifetime, and the wealth of experience that has been garnered by that pursuit, it still amazes me that a relative newbie can still teach this old dog new tricks (I never will know everything there is to know), and that is the beauty of this whole experience. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Take care!