View Single Post

Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger351w View Post
Good day I have a ruger super red hawk that leads real bad within 2-3 rnds of Mo.bullet 240 gr lrn. Starts at the cylinder and all through the barrel especially the forcing cone. All different loadings of green dot from 7. to over 8 gr Greendot. It seems accurate at 30 yds but leads badly. The forcing cone into the rifling seems to have a copper color in the groves once you get it cleaned. "copper"?

I have tons of greendot and would like to use it. It works realy good in my pt1911 in .45.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Seen at "SEIPSG.NET"
ranger,
Copper fouling is a real problem. It needs to be cleaned out or you will get some serious leading. There is an electrical process for doing so, see if someone has that setup in your area. Some of the cleaning solvents are specially formulated to remove copper fouling, try one of those.

I don't think I have ever seen a copper color very pronounced in any handgun, if you can see it, that may be the problem.

Of course, fit, hardness and size still play the biggest part in any lead fouling. Make sure your bullets aren't too hard and too small. If they are, you will NEVER use them without leading.