View Single Post

Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Things I like at gunshow? All the stuff mentioned above that others like, and most they dislike!

Two years ago I sold and esteemed member here an "offbrand" handgun (ornately engraved). I took the cash to the next show and blew it all (plus a tiny bit more.) On jewelry. Yep. I regularly take along my captive jewelry experts (a wholesale jeweler, retired, and a pawn shop owner, also retired.) Both have poured over more fine gem stones than most of us have ever seen. When both agree that a diamond is good, you can probably bet the farm on it. They liked the pear shaped stone, and Joe kept commenting on the quality of the surrounding stones. So Momma got a great present.

Daughters in law have received great amber jewlery, bought from a Russian woman at the shows.

I've purchased beef jerky, consumed it. I've bought it and carried it home for distribution to offspring.

I've purchased gold and silver coins, most at very tiny prices compared to melt value. I've even picked up a silver bar or two.

I've bought cannons. Golf ball cannons, model cannons, you name it.

I've bought a bunch of ammo, mostly rusty old hard to find stuff that others here would scoff at. Usually at very low prices. I buy components, mostly brass and bullets.

I prefer to buy the other essentials from private tables. Just guys like you or me who spent the money to rent it, but want to keep it filled. They often have discontinued stuff you just can't find elsewhere. Most sell it cheap, like the marked prices from 20 years ago.

GF, an earlier poster, had 3 Bianchi speed strips early this year. He sold me all 3 for $5! That alone made it a good show.

Once, maybe 10 years ago, at a tiny show in Somerset, KY, I managed to buy a perfect black knurled screwdriver for $1. Yes, that made the trip and show a good one for me.

Its all in your perspective. If you go expecting to find one specific item, you will probably be disappointed. If you go with an open mind, a pocket full of spending cash, and a huge list of wanted/needed items, you have a very good chance of coming home happy.

Yes seeing friends is a big part of it. If you go to the right show, you'll meet Lee, David Carroll, Dan Tanko, Hugh May, or any of dozens of our contributors here. They sit all over the shows, usually having a "combine", solving the worlds problems in their huddles.

Health issues prevented me from going to this weekends show in Lexington. But with any luck I'll make it to the big Louisville show in two weeks. My private driver (wife) will probably cart my sorry carcass down there, her going to the big Christmas show next door.