View Single Post

Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,711 Times in 6,038 Posts

Outside of lots of excellent condition vintage Smiths, I like variety, as my interests are eclectic. Always looking for U.S. military knives - I've found several excellent buys at gun shows, notably an original SOG bowie and a 5th Special Forces presentation stiletto, both with sheaths combined for $100, and an OSS stiletto with pancake flipper sheath for $100. Having good reference books and using them counts for a lot on such things so as to recognize what's there, what's authentic, and what it's worth. I've been to innumerable shows where I didn't buy a thing, but I keep coming back to find the gem in the mud. For instance, at the last show a Hi-Standard 8-inch barreled "space gun" walked in off the street; I've been looking for one since the early 1960s. I was just at the right place at the right time. You never know, and that's the thrill of the hunt. I also enjoy just talking with knowledgeable folks, and it's a rare show where I don't learn something I didn't know before.

I intensely dislike jewelry, czech glassware, kid's toys and candy/jerky tables. A gun show should be for guns and related accoutrements, and should not be a glorified flea market. Also, young screaming, glomming kids and kids in baby carriages that block the aisles should be left at home. That's why baby sitters were invented. I've taken my grandchildren to shows, but all were above the age of 10 when taken, stuck close to me, kept their hands to themselves, and asked me instead of bothering the vendors when they had a question.

I do like the booksellers who offer gun reference works. Any collector should also have a collection of reference books on whatever is of interest. Gun shows are a handy way to examine such books before buying.