Thread: .45acp
View Single Post

Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Liked 4,317 Times in 1,618 Posts

"too big" and "too heavy" are relative terms. Not just to the individual but also to the time of year, dress code of the day, and even personal energy level. While a 1911 or 4506 (of which I own both) may be the perfect carry for some, they would be WAY to large and heavy for my tastes.
Bottom line is that smaller and lighter is generally preferred. ( Read: Nobody ever gripes their carry piece is too light or concealable. It's why 11 oz 357 revolvers rule :-))

All that said, there are some very nice compact 45's out there that are made by S&W and others. I'd be looking hard before buying anything.

FWIW, I too was a Plastic gun hater(!!) until I handled a M&P 45. This gun opened my eyes and is now one of my favorites. It has even replaced the home protection revolver in the safe by the bed. The compact model weighs in at near a pound under the weight of a 4506 and allot less than a standard 1911. ( Only about 5 oz more than a new model 60 revolver) . I'm not saying this is "the gun for you" but I will say it's certainly worth a look.