View Single Post

Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 285 Posts

Hi,

As a fellow lover of 3" barreled S&W K and N frames, I think you'll fall in love with a little J frame.

I started with a very, very nice Model 36 steel framed vintage one a couple of years ago, after never owning a little J-frame snubby.

It didn't take me long to say, "Gosh, what took me so long" to appreciate 'em!

My first cylinder of five rounds, standing/unsupported went into a 1" black square on a target 10 yards away!!! With that, I put the high dollar Kimber Ultra CDP lightweight .45 officer's sized 1911 in the safe and the M36 became my always CCW gun . . . It could be carried in places the little .45 could not go!

A few months later, I found a nice Model 37 Airweight with a 3" barrel for my wife and she loves it as much as my 3" M65 she shoots so well.

Her Airweight make me appreciate a 15 oz. gun and I soon found a cherry 1971 Model 37 snubbie that retired the M36 to mainly guarding the inside of my safe!

BOTTOM LINE . . . don't sell the Airweights short. Sure, they kick, but with a firm, high hold and the right grips I find it very comfortable to shoot wadcutters and normal ammo in it! And . . . if you ever need to use it in self defense . . . you'll never feel the kick AT ALL!

J frames are mainly carried always but rarely shot.

Since you are mainly a double action wheelgunner, any of the three types of hammer versions will work great for you. Frankly, I could not care less whether mine had an exposed hammer or not. They all work extremely well for concealed carry use.

Truly, you are gonna really fall for a J-frame subbie! Bet ya can't get just one! A steel (or stainless) . . . at about 23 oz., combined with an Airweight at less than 15oz. will serve you very well indeed.