View Single Post

Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Shooting a J-frame can be painful. They can be difficult in controlling recoil and slow to fire follow up shots. Compared to today's high-tech autoloaders, their sights suck big time.

But I love 'em.

The 640 is heavier and somewhat easier to control than the Airweight models. But it still kicks pretty good. But it's nothing that can't be handled. I have not experiemented with many sets of grips--I have J-frames for concealment so I haven't really tried any of the recoil absorbing grips out there. I currently have the small S&W Dymondwood grips on all my J-frames and I haven't had much of a problem in controlling recoil or getting back on target even with these less than handfilling grip panels.

I have arthritis, too. Mostly in my neck and shoulders so I'm sensitive to extra lifted/carried weights. I also have some arthritis in my hands but I can handle a range session of upwards of 150 rounds of mixed standard and +P ammo. The web of my hand might be sore and there might be a blister at the distal joint of my trigger finger but it's still possible to shoot that much and survive. Actually, I enjoy shooting J-frames about as much as anything else. The sights are a challenge but the guns point naturally (at least for me) and I don't think there's a better choice in a self-defense handgun at short distances than a snubnosed .38 Special.