View Single Post

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

I'm very partial to Ks, Ls, and Ns, and only recently bought my first J, a 3" 36 no-dash. Before even firing the first shot I replaced the manufacturer's wooden grips (mine's a round butt) with a set of S & W full length rubber grips. These grips are excellent! I find the gun to be pretty comfortable to shoot, firing only .38 special. I love the gun's lightness and the ease with which it points. The trigger is not as good as it is on my larger revolvers but others tell me it's actually very good for a J. My only real problem with the gun is the sights -- at my age (63) visualizing the front sight on any handgun can be problem. On my 36 that problem is made much worse by virtue of the gun's incredibly narrow front sight. When I shoot, I sometimes feel as if I'm trying to see a razor blade turned sideways.

I'm reasonably accurate with the gun out to about 10 yards. At that distance I generally can put five rounds into a circle about the size of the palm of my hand. I'm not exactly cloverleafing my groups, but I'll take it, given my vision problems.

One little tip: watch the Jerry Miculak clip on utube about revolver gripping. He recommends a somewhat unusal grip for Js. Instead of using the thumb of the supporting hand (left in my case) to lock the shooting thumb to the gun, he recommends bringing the supporting thumb back around the backstrap of the gun and just slightly below the base of the shooting hand's thumb. I've tried it and it works! Perceived recoil is much less with his grip.