View Single Post

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Liked 15,521 Times in 6,804 Posts
Exclamation Had my first squib load today!

Loaded 200 rounds of 40 SW with Berrys 165gr plated flat nose. 6.0 grs HP 38. I was using my Springfield XD Sub compact. On about the second magazine, gun went pifff and jammed up. I actually think there was enough powder to partially cycle the gun (can't remember) but I am pretty sure the next round tried to chamber but the bullet was far enough back that it stopped the next round (thank goodness!) When I cleared the gun a small "nest" like wad of powder fell out (looked like a bit of fine steel wool) If it was not for that, I might have NOT looked in the barrel, but i wondered what the heck it was?? Then I saw the bullet.

I keep a oak dowel in my range bag which I sometimes use for cases that do not eject from other guns. Field stripped and tapped out the bullet. Glad it was just a 3" barrel. Went on to shoot 100 hundred rounds and no further problems.

I am just thankful I was taking my time trying for true accuracy at the time and not rapid firing and the gun jammed or things might have be worse.

The planets must have been aligned cause I even found ALL my empty brass plus a few others from previous days (I mark them)

Kind of a unnerving event.