View Single Post

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default Completely Un-Scientific Bullet Testing

While at the range Wednesday, I decided to test a few different loads out of my model 37-2, and my 2 1/2" 66-1. The bullets were fired into a line of one gallon water jugs from 10 feet away. The plastic jugs were placed directly beside each other, with no gap between them. The bullets in the photos are as follows;

Federal .38 Special +P 125gr JHP, Winchester .38 Special +P 125gr JHP, Federal .38 Special standard velocity 125gr Nyclad Hollow Point, BUffalo Bore .38 Special +P 158gr LSWCHP.

Here is a side view of the same bullets. The Buffalo Bore round was fired from the 2 1/2" K frame, while the other three 125's were fired from the 1 7/8" barreled model 37-2.

And here is a close-up of the Buffalo Bore bullet;

The +P loads from Federal and Winchester were recovered in the third water jug. The Federal Nyclad load dimpled the third jug, but couldn't quite get in. The Buffalo Bore load penetrated the fourth jug, then yawed and exited the right side. I found it on the ground approx. 5 feet from the table the jugs were lined up on. It fragmented, and the fragments were found in the first, second and third jugs.

The Federal JHP mushroomed ok, but the Winchester JHP barely expanded the lead portion of the hollow point. The Nyclad expanded perfectly.

I know, I know,... water jugs have little bearing on real world performance from bullets, but it's fun to see what the different loads can do.