View Single Post

Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

I have the Colt in a blued 6inch version. Since I don't have an L frame Smith, I can't make a direct comparison. But, if I had a Python in one hand and a 686 in the other, and had to choose, I'm not believing anyone that says they would take the 686. Not that the Smith isn't a fine gun, but if for no other reason that you could sell the Python and buy a couple 686's. That said, I have a the Smith N frame in 27-2 and pre 27. Also 2 PC 627's with 8 round capacity and 5 inch barrels. I wouldn't trade a PC 627 for the Python, and they are about the same value. The PC 627 has the absolute best single action trigger of any revolver I've owned. I paid $500 for my pre 27 about 2 months ago, and I wouldn't trade it for the Colt either. I've completely disassemble both the Colt and Smith. The Colt mechanics are more complex. I won't debate which one is more reliable. I know I'll never shoot any revolver enough to test it's durability. I will say that the cylinder lockup is superior to the Smith. Colt has a lever that, when the trigger is pulled, completely locks up the cylinder. Absolutely no play. You'll buy the Smith and be very happy with it.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: