View Single Post

Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Liked 163 Times in 97 Posts

Welcome. I have 2 Pythons (one 6" and one 4"), a 4" S&W 686, and a 4" S&W 28-2. While I love my Pythons and do carry them but there are some advantages to the S&Ws. The Python is no longer being produced so parts may become scarce and qualified gunsmiths who really know how to work on them are few and far between. The S&W 28 is no longer produced but parts from a 27 should work in a pinch. The S&W 686 is still in production. With either S&W there are a large number of gunsmiths that can do quality work on them. Another advantage is the S&Ws trigger is more consistant than the Python. The Python takes some getting used to because of the stacking effect (starts out light but gets slightly heavier as you pull until it releases). Many years ago I did private security work and started with a 6" Python (carried for 2 1/2 - 3 years) then went to a S&W 28 after I buldged the Python barrel. I also carried the 686 and prefer it as a duty weapon. Mine did patrol duties with me many nights. I was in security for a total of 15 years and stayed with a S&W as a duty weapon for most of those years changing to a Beretta 92F for a short time. As a Police Officer I have to carry on duty what my agency issues (Beretta 92FS).