View Single Post

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just used my ebay-purchased barrel nut tool to remove the barrel. I went to Lowe's and bought an 18" section of black iron pipe for $5. I didn't need to use the set screw or otherwise weld the tool to the pipe, as the tight fit of the threads was plenty more torque than the barrel nut required for removal or installation. 1st surprise...my barrel nut was barely tight, just a bit more than loose, and took no torque to remove at all. 2nd surprise... I found an 1 1/2" spot on my barrel which had no bluing on it at all! I can't see it when the barrel is installed but you better believe I oiled that section a bit more than the rest. When reinstalling the nut, I was very careful not to "booger" the threads and when it felt snug I gave it just a bit more of a twist with my hand only to torque it. This is not much torque at all... but more than it had when I removed it! It was nice to thoroughly clean that hard-to-get-at area around the feed ramp and ejector. Do I like the tool? Yes, it is a nicely made piece. Is it overkill for the job? Yes, I feel a chunk of PVC pipe properly fit to the nut slots will more than do the job. Plus, the PVC can't scratch any metal surfaces while in use. BTW: I didn't use any sort of vise, barrel or otherwise for this job as it simply isn't needed for the miniscule amount of torque you're dealing with on a polymer receiver and quadrail. Mike in TX