View Single Post

Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

i did some LE augmentee duty once in cali and then a couple of times in oklahoma...

i carried the M15 in cali and the M9 in okla...

i served in the base honor guard in california and we used to occasionally carry and M15 with us in a white holster since we were taking anywhere from 7 to 21 M1 Garand rifles with us off base...

i was a 'cargo courier' so i had an additional reason for qualifying with the pistol, although i never couriered any cargo that i can recall...

the first time i had to qualify was in the middle of the "global shield" (1988). i was in an ad-hoc OPFOR team and we were doing a 16-18 hour Night-Op. about 0630 i told my fire team (i was driving a 'pig) that i had to go and they thought i had to take a leak. i got up in the middle of this firefight/assault on the ABGD cops and double timed it about 900yds back to the OPFOR camp. i cleared the M60, checked it in and went home to shower. 28 minutes later i showed up at the small arms range and fired a perfect 40 for 40...

my base was ideal for ABGD training and CivEng and Hosp training in that it was 86,000 acres (down from WWII size of 128,000 acres) of mostly scrub brush, and grassy knolls. there was a nice wooded area with a river that ran through it that we used during Hospital field training week twice a year...

anywho, ive got an M15 i got some time ago. it needs cosmetic work done and im torn between a reblue or a parkerized 'air force' rebuild. im certain we had (in the unit or in the sps) both blued and parked versions...

United States Air Force
23151/23132
(graphic artist and still photographer)
1985-1993
Beale AFB, California
Altus AFB, Oklahoma