View Single Post

Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15-22-maniac View Post
You "can" hold onto the upper reciever or the assembled upper and lower, or the handguard. None of those are recommended tho. The channels that orient the barrel are not very deep. The handguard could break from twisting. These parts are VERY tough and should be fine. You could always get some vise jaws to hold the barrel.
It your tool long enough to stick out of the handguard. I'm supposing it is, cause you said you were going to grip it with pliers or whatever.
Good luck, be safe and let us know how quickly Smith sends replacement parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELT_FED View Post
hey bud, i just held on to the entire gun got a spare set of hands just to make sure i didnt put to much pressuer at 1 point. and held it with my legs from 1 end to the other.. u turn the pipe counter clock wise (lefty loosey righty tighty) i made the pipe 16" long to clear the end of the pipe then drilled a hole in it and inserted a metal pin about 6" long it was more than enough to break it free
Well.... I kinda like the bluing on my barrel so I thought I'd try to use PVC instead of steel pipe. After I get done with a dozen or so attempts to cut the tabs in, I should have enough PVC left from an 8 foot piece to have an 11 inch tool. Then just glue on a 4-way PVC connector so I'll have a T to turn. But that will only give me about 3-4 inches of barrel left to hold onto.

All I'm trying to do is see if my barrel is lose.... I wonder how much a new handguard cost.... I've already got the $40 medical visit deductible figured into this project.