View Single Post

Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,390 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H. View Post
Sir, snub .357s are notoriously difficult to shoot well with full-power ammo. Look for heavier guns with 4-inch or longer barrels, and avoid the bigger magnums (.41 and up). Things like .44 special, .45 Colt and ACP, and even the .357 in full-size steel guns will all be more comfortable than your snubbie.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.
I have to agree. I have a 357 J frame M-60 that I carry a lot. It is tough to shoot full power well. I shoot a lot, 400-500 rounds a month when I’m not training for a match, so I'm confident in my abilities. I still feel like I need to put at least 50 rounds a month thru the carry gun of the month. In the summer the J frame goes out pretty regularly. I use Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr 357 MAG for carry. It is a mid power load, I had the data but can’t find it right now but I think it was about 100 fps more than the Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr 38+p. if I remember right the 357 was about 1000 fps.

After saying all that I need to agree with the 44 SPL, 45acp calibers as easier to shoot. It is not just the recoil but also the blast. Have you ever felt the slap of blast from a full power 357 on the top of your feet? It is intimidating even for experienced shooters. When you get a 357 up into the 170,000 power factor range it is a totally different animal than a 44-45.