View Single Post

Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
There was a .41 S&W cartridge!

This basically never made it out of the experimental stage sometime in the 1890s. Basically it was similar to .41 Long Colt with an inside lubricated bullet aprox. .386 diameter as the later .41 LC with the inside lubricated hollow-base bullet. The case was slightly shorter and had a larger rim than the Colt round. Only two revolvers are known to have been chambered for it, both #3 top-breaks.

Since there were only two guns it is highly unlikely Lyman made dies for this cartridge. They are probably for .41 Magnum.
FYI and I realize that I am quite late on this thread, but to --- Alk8944 is correct-
U.S. Cartridges and Their Handguns by Charles R Suydam (1977) shows a .41 S&W cartridge on page 192. I am not suggesting that the dies in the original post are for this cartridge but thought I would pass on the details.

Cartridge dimensions:
Rim dia. - .455
Head dia - .406
Case mouth dia. - .406
Bullet dia. - .373
Case length - 1.041
Overall length - 1.470

Quoting the text:
"The .41 S&W is one of a series of experimental cartridges made for S&W by UMC sometime in the period 1890-1910. It is unlike any other .41 calibre cartridge, and no information as to its load, bullet weight, or powder type has been found".

The text goes on for two pages but my typing is so slow I am not going to try.

I am not a big forum guy and do not know how these things work but, is it OK to scan and upload the pages from a book like this or is that a copyright infringement?

Chris