View Single Post

Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,152 Times in 5,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Why not simply carry a 12 ga short shotgun with slugs? I know it's not as handy, but especially for someone who is not expert with a handgun, far easier to place some lead in the right spot.

I'm going through the same thing with a pair on non gun people who will be spending time in AK this coming summer. Neither is competant with any handgun CAPABLE of handling the big bears. They can accurately shoot .357 and lighter .41/.44 mag loads...thats it.

Yet give either of them an 870/Mossy500 with LE light recoil slugs or 00 buck and they ARE far more competant...even with the recoil.

I've thought of a glock 10mm as well .....but have zero experience with one. A Marlin lever in .45-70 would be worth looking into.

I have seen big bears and personally I'd carry a 12 ga and slugs. With a 6" M-29 and full power 300 gr LBT loads as a back up should I be away from or have lost the 870. The coastals and Kodiaks ARE huge. Nothing to be trifled with.

FN in MT
I grew up hunting and fishing Alaska. I agree with the above post. Way too many people under estimate both brown and black bear.

To answer your question directly, the 10mm may or may not work. The same can be said for any handgun caliber short of the 44 magnum. Even these days the 44 mag is considered by some to be not powerful enough. As a kid growing up there the 44 was the biggest caliber we could get. In our hunting/fishing party almost everyone carried a 44 and at least two 12 gauge shotguns were very close by.

We put a bear down once that raided our camp while we were fishing. Ate everything. Bit holes in our coolers, trashed our tents and so on. Next morning an old timer waited for the bear to come back. One 12 gauge slug put the bear down.

My first concern with your lady friend and the Glock 22 or Colt is her ability to control the recoil enough for the gun to operate correctly. I've seen many who could not and limp wristed the gun. Because they are not as strong women must use technique over muscle to shoot accurately and effectively. She will have to practice with any auto she chooses.

I would choose a good revolver in 44 mag.
The Following User Likes This Post: