View Single Post

Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,140 Times in 5,148 Posts

Although I no longer live there, I go back every year to fish with my dad. We ALWAYS have bear encounters. If they leave us alone then we leave them alone. We'll even walk the opposite way to avoid them. If they come within 50 or so yards we fire a shot in the air and most of the time they back off and turn around. If they come closer we shoot them with #7 or 8 birdshot in the rear. At 40-50 yards the birdshot does not penetrate thier hide but it usually gives them the incentive to go the other way. After 30+ years we have had more encounters with bear than we can remember. We have been chased several times as well. Usually when carrying fish. We only had to put one down.

As a teen I saw a brown bear take three rounds through the chest with a 338 win magnum. The bear ran 150 towards us before it dropped less than 100 feet away. Ever since then I've been terrified of them although I love them and respect them.

Currently when I go there I carry my fathers Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag and he carries a 12 ga. If my little brother goes he carries a S&W 460. Even though heavily armed, we still have to rely on situational awareness and pay attention to what goes on around us. Usually we can spot a troublesome bear and walk up or downstream to avoid them.

After all, they were there first and are just hungry.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: