View Single Post

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evile View Post
I shoot left handed but one day i had a shell bounce off the lane wall and go in my shirt and burnt my neck, so ive been doing some right handed shooting i can do it but it takes some adjusting
That happened, probably more because of bad luck than because of how you shoot. Last week, my 10 year-old son was shooting at the range with me and his Winchester .22 bounced a shell off the wall and it landed between the back side of the safety glasses lens, and his right cheek. I was standing behind him watching him shoot and was looking down range, not at where every shell was landing. When it happened, he stopped shooting and calmly and firmly held the rifle with his left hand, and swatted his right cheek with is right hand. I immediately tried to help but still didn't know exactly what had happened.

I then saw a perfect outline burn of a shell on his cheek. We immediately went to the bathroom and cleaned it with soap and warm water and put Neosporin (sp?) on it at home. It's healing fine and I doubt he'll have a scar.

Yes, his teachers and friends asked about it and I told him to tell the truth when answering. For the casual questions he would say that a piece of hot metal burned him. For the more specific questions, he told them what happened. So far, we haven't received any PC over-reactions.

So, he'll keep shooting right handed and I'll make the switch. I'm thinking this was a fluke but has anyone else had this happen? We're only about a year into our "gun life" and we're trying to use all the right safety measures. Any chance of it happening again?

Last edited by BMW Racer; 01-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.