View Single Post

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Liked 1,682 Times in 703 Posts

A word on reloading. I still have my original reloading set up... as a back up. I set up my Dillon 550 the same way & it has been fine. The usual instructions mention using a bench strong enough to rebuild a deisel engine with all equipment through bolted. While that might be needed for case forming or some other exotic work, it's just not necessary for typical reloading.

I used a hunk of heavy 3/4" plywood maybe 16" X 12"... I used 5/16 carriage bolts recessed into the bottom & bolted the Lyman press to it. I use (2) 6" C clamps to hold this to what ever surface is convenient. For several years I used a "desk" that was actually a couple of cabinettes with drawers & a hollow core door stained to match laid on top. I just lightly pressed down with my left hand at the height of the stroke. I loaded 9mm, 38sp, 357, 45acp on it just fine.

There are lots of single station C presses out there. I know where there are 2 right now looking for homes. A buddy of mine frequently finds them at yard sales... My current reloading "bench" is a formica piece of laminated countertop salvaged from a ice cream shop renovation with home made 2X3 legs...
Best Wishes,
Russ

Last edited by flagman1776; 01-25-2010 at 09:02 AM.