Thread: Chuck Taylor
View Single Post

Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Liked 73 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Galt View Post
When you try and discredit someone, it helps to have some specifics. What do you consider an insane number? What do you consider physically impossible? You might be surprised at how much training some people do.
Well, I suppose I'll try to dig the book out and provide you with some proof before I try to discredit him. As far as being surprised at the volume of training some do, I don't doubt a thing. I forget the most egregious example, but it was an order of magnitude beyond that which is physically possible.

An example (not Chuck Taylor) that I do remember was our local elementary school. They had a 1 million word reading program. Any 1st grader that reads 1 million words in a semester gets a prize. Most of them made it with time to spare. If you read at 30 words per minute every day (significantly faster than the average 1st grader) over the course of a 20 week semester, you would have to read 4 solid hours at that rate hours every day. Obviously, no 1st grader is doing that. To put it another way, that's roughly equivalent of reading War and Peace twice.

The point is the entire crew of idiots over at the school were bobbing their heads up and down and awarding these kids with 1 million word prizes halfway through the semester, when they themselves have not likely read 1 million words during the semester. They look like idiots because they just make stuff up. I'll try to remember to find Chuck's example as well, but don’t hang me in effigy if I forget.